dell 2850 initrd problem.

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Tue Jun 8 10:38:19 CDT 2010

On 2010-06-08 14:18, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I managed to move pretty much all data from the 'hosed' machine to
> another place. (there are a few things that I would like to salvage but
> couldn't)
>
> I would like to make an attempt to fix the filesystem and see if I can
> get some more of it.
>
> So if I issue:
> "e2fsck -f -b 32768 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01"
>
> because that is the one with the bad superblock? that I found a bit ago
> with:

Again, there's no reason to think you have a bad superblock.

Have you made an image of LogVol00 so you can safely fsck it?

>> e2label /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 : bad magic number in
>> Group-LogVol01. couldn't find valid filesystem superblock
>
> (although Jefferson mentioned that might be swap)

Given that that's the only other volume, it's almost certainly swap. Can
you recover the original /etc/fstab from
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00? That should tell you if it's swap.

Or you can run the following command:

dd if=/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 bs=1 skip=$[0xff6] count=10 | strings

If that yields SWAPSPACE2, it's swap.

> there is also:
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00  but I thought that was /boot ?

/boot is /dev/sda1.

> sorry about all the questions, but I am a bit of a rookie with fixing crashed filesystems.

That's okay.