hanging DRAC5 cards

Chitrak_Gupta at Dell.com Chitrak_Gupta at Dell.com
Mon Jun 7 04:56:57 CDT 2010

Pawel,

Actually the point 3 is important. The DRAC is an Out of Band device and it does not care what state the server is in and does not know if it is rebooting or not. If the DRAC is down or hung, then if you reboot the server (just plain server reset), the server should report a "BMC communication failure". My guess is you are doing a power recycle of the server that is why the whole drac is reset again. Can you try out the step when you see a DRAC5 hang. Just from the OS reboot the server. And check the messages on the BIOS screen. The DRAC should be hung then also and come back with the failure message.

Also let me know what all firmware (BIOS, BMC, DRAC) have you updated on the server, also any specific server model that you see the hang more often than others. Also let me know how old are your dracs?

Thanks,
Chitrak

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Pawel Kudzia
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 3:17 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: hanging DRAC5 cards

hi Chitrak,

> 1)
> Can you tell me exact steps of making the DRAC5? In
> other words, do you see a pattern that after performing certain actions it
> hangs up?

no exact steps. they hang untouched; they hang after random period of time.
i have not found any pattern. they hang when i query them over ipmi, but they
also hand without that.

> 2)
> What exactly happens when it hangs up? Do you try and
> launch web-page or send RACADM commands or try IPMI tool?

web-browser times out, ipmitool times out, on the sniffer i see that drac
responds with syn-packet to attempts of establishing tcp connection on
80/443/22 tcp but nothing more [ eg: no ssh banner ].
it still responds to pings but nothing more.

> 3)
> Do you see any failure reported on DRAC when the server
> boots up if you reboot after a hang?

as i remember drac card IS NOT reported during boot; after powering server off
and on again - it becomes visible as usual.

reagards
/Pawel