Magic SysRq Key Sequences over Remote DRAC5 Connection

Bryce Nesbitt bnesbitt at bepress.com
Sun Jun 6 23:28:39 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Adam Nielsen <adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au> wrote:
>> Fixes and Enhancements:
>> *SysRq magic key doesnt work on dell systems remotely
>
> Funny, that doesn't show up on the page for me.

Google it, it's there.  Oddly it is only on the firmware download page
under fixes, not in the release notes.  Here's the link I got it from:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R253040&SystemID=PWE_2950&servicetag=&os=RHEL5&osl=en&deviceid=8735&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=7&catid=36&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=36&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=370427

But ultimately I that relying on break to pass SysRq is fragile.
Better would be an explicit racadm command.  Since the DRAC5 emulates
a USB keyboard, this should be possible.  Xen, a hypervisor, uses
syntax "xm sysrq X" for this same function.  A similar syntax in the
DRAC5, sending commands via USB, would be robust.