apache reverse proxy on Dell Power Edge

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Jun 6 09:08:37 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:29:03PM -0700, Tapas M wrote:
>    Hi,
>    if some sys admin on this list have used Reverse Proxy thing on Linux or
>    Windows just let me know.
>    I am a bit confused as  how does directive
>    ProxyPass
>    and ProxyPassReverse work
>    in apache2.
>    If I have an application on an internal webserver running on port 8080 on
>    Lan
>    but I want it to be accessible on internet via Server A which has public
>    IP
>    but firewall (which I do not have control blocks all except port 80)
>    Code:
>
>   External           Server A -----------------------------------------Server B
>  Firewall by          Public IP                                         LAN
>  sysadmins
>  (Port 8080 blocked)
>
>    if I write
>    Code:
>
>  ProxyPass     /application   [1]http://192.168.1.5:8080
>  ProxyPassReverse  /application [2]http://192.168.1.5:8080
>
>    1) Will the application be accessible outside.

Yes, as http://[public-ip]/application.

You should also consider using

  ProxyPass /application(.*) http://192.168.1.5:8080/application$1

in case you have additional application options you want passed on.

>    Or do I need to contact sysadmin to open 8080 for outside world in A in
>    above diagram.

no.

>    Also does apache needs to listen at 8080 in above diagram at server A.

no.

>    Is there any other way to do the same in apache2.

It's the same in apache2, though you can also use a RewriteRule of
type [P], which can be more flexible.

Thanks,
Matt

--