Moving disks between M605 blades?

guy guy.choo.keren at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 03:21:11 CDT 2010

Cris Rhea wrote:
> I have a pair of RAID-1 disks on an M605 blade.
>
> I want to move those disks (unchanged) to a different M605
> blade, but the RAID controller complains.
>
> How does one do this WITHOUT destroying the data on the disks?
>
> --- Cris

what i understood is that - it depends on the RAID controller you are using.

some of them support importing of what they call "foreign
configurations". if the controller tells you it recognized a foreign
configuration - it probably has an option of importing it.

i did this exactly once, moving disks from a M605 with a MPTFusion
controller to a M605 with a PERC6/i controller, and it worked. i
wouldn't do this on critical data (i.e. data you cannot recreate in a
timely manner) without consulting dell's support.

--guy