dell 2850 initrd problem.

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Fri Jun 4 14:56:53 CDT 2010

On 2010-06-04 19:14, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> What jefferson says is correct, I can mount the volume with the rescue
> cd, in /mnt/sysimage.
>
> If I browse around (within /mnt/sysimage) I can see 'everything', not
> just etc.
>
> However, /initrd is empty  and in /etc there are a bunch of damaged
> files,  initrd.conf, ldap.conf ...  but those are just a few (a dozen or
> so)  (an ls in the directory would show  some question marks  on the
> lines with damaged files.
> I tried to rename one of the damaged files and got an Input/Output error.

Is there anything in the output of dmesg that relates to the I/O error?

The /etc directory file may have an invalid block number in its block
list, pointing past the end of the volume, for example.

I wouldn't try to make any modifications to the filesystem, let alone
fully boot it, without imaging it first. You could very easily have a
corrupted free block list that could cause boot logging to write all
over the data you care about.

Your best bet might be just to do a reinstall.

IIRC, /initrd shouldn't even exist except during boot before swaproot;
that's a transitory filesystem used to load drivers so the kernel can
find the devices it needs. If it does exist it *might* mean that your
last kernel patch had a problem building the new initrd and aborted,
e.g. if the filesystem was full or if the RAID controller caused
problems. You might have a previous kernel you could boot (should show
up in your grub list), but as I say, I wouldn't even try to boot the
system in its current state without making a disk image.