dell 2850 initrd problem.

Ron Croonenberg ronc at depauw.edu
Fri Jun 4 14:14:56 CDT 2010

What jefferson says is correct, I can mount the volume with the rescue
cd, in /mnt/sysimage.

If I browse around (within /mnt/sysimage) I can see 'everything', not
just etc.

However, /initrd is empty  and in /etc there are a bunch of damaged
files,  initrd.conf, ldap.conf ...  but those are just a few (a dozen or
so)  (an ls in the directory would show  some question marks  on the
lines with damaged files.
I tried to rename one of the damaged files and got an Input/Output error.

Actually the server does start booting, the kernel starts loading but  a
kernel panic occurs.

It says it cannot find/use /initrd/dev   that it is trying to kill
/sbin/init (/sbin/init is there and seems ok) and that is when the panic
occurs. (and that is true,  /initrd is empty)

Jefferson Ogata wrote:
> On 2010-06-04 18:57, Paul M. Dyer wrote:
>
>> Actually, you would want to try and recover the superblock from the /dev/mapper/..   device.
>>

> No, given that he already said he can see /etc, albeit missing important
> things, his superblock is almost certainly intact.

main(p){printf(p,34,p="main(p){printf(p,34,p=%c%s%c,34); }",34); }
Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                  | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
        Technology Coordinator    |

Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc at DePauw.edu
DePauw University                 |
275 Julian Science & Math Center  |
602 South College Ave.            |
Greencastle, IN  46135            |