dell 2850 initrd problem.

Ryan Langseth langseth at meridian-enviro.com
Fri Jun 4 12:42:36 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
| Well,
|
| I seem to have :
|
| /dev/sda1 that is labeled /root
| /dev/sda2 labeled something that says LVM
|
| I found that using fdisk -l
|
| But it seems you guys know what you are talking about, I'll follow the
| discussion

Ok, here are some commands to help you from a Live CD (assuming this is what you are using to do 'fdisk -l /dev/sda'). Most of this is from memory (sorry don't have a system to to run a rescue disk on right now)

Display physical volumes for LVM, for you this should be /dev/sda2:
/sbin/lvm pvdisplay

if that does not show anything try:
/sbin/lvm pvscan

Display Volume Groups (should have something like "VG Name   VolGroup00"):
/sbin/lvm vgdisplay

again if nothing is displayed try:
/sbin/lvm vgscan

then you can try to display the actual filesystem partitions called logical volumes(lv):
/sbin/lvm lvdisplay

these should show something like:
LV Name    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

that one should be /: try fscking:
fsck /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

if that works you should be able to mount it:
mount /mnt/tmpslash /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Ryan