dell 2850 initrd problem.

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Fri Jun 4 12:28:20 CDT 2010

On 2010-06-04 17:17, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>> In what sense are these systems "fried"? Can you move the RAID
>> controller and disks from one system to another?
>
> Uhm,  no.  the machine I am talking about now has the hardware repaired,
> by  putting in a new raid kit.
> Moving it to another server (I don't have another 2850, I have a few
> more 2950's though)( would make much sense I think.
>
> The filesystem is 'corrupted'  so moving the disks doesn't help much there?

I meant the other way around. If the two backup systems are "fried" but
you can get their disks running on alternate "non-fried" systems, you
can recover your data from those.

> question:  since  I have a broken filesystem,  does it even make sense
> to make a disk image of it?  or do you mean just for backup? (that if I
> break it, I still have the broken stuff I started with?)

Yes, it does make sense, and for the reason you surmise.

Ideally you would get a disk image onto another system as an LV, take a
snapshot of that, and then work with the snapshot. Then if things go
awry, you just drop the snapshot and make a new one.

If you're lucky, what's happened is that the /etc directory file has
been damaged but that all of the objects it linked to are intact. fsck
will reparent these objects under /lost+found if so.

But there may be other damage as well.

But even if you can't recover /etc, you may well be able to recover the
data you're really interested in.

And even if files have been orphaned and fsck doesn't reattach them
under /lost+found you may be able to recover them using debugfs.