dell 2850 initrd problem.

Ron Croonenberg ronc at depauw.edu
Fri Jun 4 12:11:53 CDT 2010

right,

I am actually thinking about moving the date to another machine and/or
put it on another device.
(the rescue cd  gives me the option to activate the network interfaces,
that way I could scp or ftp it to another machine and inspect the
retrieved data before anything else.)

Bond Masuda wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 12:47 -0400, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>
>> Well  here is the thing.   We had a 'standby' server that basically
>> would copy everything every night and in case something bad ever would
>> happen to the main server  we could run it off that one.
>> However that one got fried during that same power outage.
>> We also made backups on tape, and guess what..  the server that made
>> those backups also got fried..
>>

>> So yes, it is pretty important data, it's  pretty much the last
>> accessible data source we have, so I want to be really careful with it.
>>
>> I do have a few other machines that I can use to store data, etc..
>>
>> Ron
>>

> Wow, sorry to hear about your situation.
>
> If this is critically important, and your absolute last resort to
> recover the data, the first thing I would do is get an image of the
> entire drive, and also an image of each partition (you can get the
> partitions from the full image, but i find it easier to have individual
> partition images for convenience). By image, I'm talking about doing a
> dd if=/dev/sda ...
>
> if you don't have a place to store the images, just run down to the
> store and buy a 500GB, 1TB, or 2TB external drive of some sort... USB
> will be rather slow for anything on the order of 100GB's or more, but it
> still works; just takes time.
>
> you can then later make copies of those images to mess with without the
> worry that you're messing around with your only source of the data.
> Without the worry, you'll have more options for recovery...
>
> -Bond

main(p){printf(p,34,p="main(p){printf(p,34,p=%c%s%c,34); }",34); }
Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                  | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
        Technology Coordinator    |

Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc at DePauw.edu
DePauw University                 |
275 Julian Science & Math Center  |
602 South College Ave.            |
Greencastle, IN  46135            |