dell 2850 initrd problem.

Bond Masuda bond.masuda at jlbond.com
Fri Jun 4 11:57:15 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 12:47 -0400, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> Well  here is the thing.   We had a 'standby' server that basically
> would copy everything every night and in case something bad ever would
> happen to the main server  we could run it off that one.
> However that one got fried during that same power outage.
> We also made backups on tape, and guess what..  the server that made
> those backups also got fried..
>

> So yes, it is pretty important data, it's  pretty much the last
> accessible data source we have, so I want to be really careful with it.
>
> I do have a few other machines that I can use to store data, etc..
>
> Ron

Wow, sorry to hear about your situation.

If this is critically important, and your absolute last resort to
recover the data, the first thing I would do is get an image of the
entire drive, and also an image of each partition (you can get the
partitions from the full image, but i find it easier to have individual
partition images for convenience). By image, I'm talking about doing a
dd if=/dev/sda ...

if you don't have a place to store the images, just run down to the
store and buy a 500GB, 1TB, or 2TB external drive of some sort... USB
will be rather slow for anything on the order of 100GB's or more, but it
still works; just takes time.

you can then later make copies of those images to mess with without the
worry that you're messing around with your only source of the data.
Without the worry, you'll have more options for recovery...

-Bond