dell 2850 initrd problem.

Ron Croonenberg ronc at depauw.edu
Fri Jun 4 11:47:28 CDT 2010

Jefferson Ogata wrote:
> On 2010-06-04 15:42, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>
>> Jefferson Ogata wrote:
>>
>>> What does your partition table actually say? Is /dev/sda2 *supposed* to
>>> be a filesystem, or is an LVM physical volume?
>>>
>> it says that /dev/sda2 is an LVM volume
>>

> In that case, I strongly suggest that you *not* follow any advice about
> trying to recover a superblock on it.
>
> What is the filesystem label on /dev/sda1 (run e2label /dev/sda1)? (I'm
> guessing it's /boot.)

Yes it is /boot

> How important is the content of this system. Do you have another system
> you can image the disk to in case you do something destructive

Well  here is the thing.   We had a 'standby' server that basically
would copy everything every night and in case something bad ever would
happen to the main server  we could run it off that one.
However that one got fried during that same power outage.
We also made backups on tape, and guess what..  the server that made
those backups also got fried..

So yes, it is pretty important data, it's  pretty much the last
accessible data source we have, so I want to be really careful with it.

I do have a few other machines that I can use to store data, etc..

Ron