dell 2850 initrd problem.

Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com
Thu Jun 3 14:19:52 CDT 2010

Are you able to read any files in the /etc directory at all? if not, you pretty much lost all the configuration information.
I would copy all the important data over to an external storage, re-install and copy back the data unless you can fix the I/O errors with some tool.

Praveen
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Ron Croonenberg [ronc at depauw.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:38 PM
To: Paul M. Dyer
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: dell 2850 initrd problem.

Hi Paul,

I already did that.

I have  /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2

if I run fsck on /dev/sda1  it warns about not finding /etc/fstab  but
than says that /boot is fine.

when I run fsck on /dev/sda2 I get the same fstab warning but then says
it can't find the ext2 superblock.
(bad magic number in superblock, corrupt super block or not an ext2
filesystem)

This was installed from the distro, so if  sda1 is ext2  then sda2 is
too(?).  The only thing done after the install of the distro was
upgrading the kernel from 2.6.12-1.667 to 2.6.12-1.1381

Ron

Paul M. Dyer wrote:
> boot into Rescue mode:  boot from CD, then "linux rescue"
>
> answer no when asked to try and mount filesystems.
>
> then run:
>
> fdisk -l /dev/sda   (find out what partitions you have)
>
> fsck /dev/sda1       (check the first partition)
> fsck /dev/sda2       (check the second partition)
>
> Paul

main(p){printf(p,34,p="main(p){printf(p,34,p=%c%s%c,34); }",34); }
Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                  | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
        Technology Coordinator    |

Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc at DePauw.edu
DePauw University                 |
275 Julian Science & Math Center  |
602 South College Ave.            |
Greencastle, IN  46135            |