dell 2850 initrd problem.

Ron Croonenberg ronc at depauw.edu
Thu Jun 3 10:27:42 CDT 2010

Thanks,

I found the FC3  rescuecd somewhere it is  2.6.12-1.667
(that was what was initially installed.)

btw:  I remember, before the reboot with the kernel panic, that  when I
booted the machine it said it booted from an unclean shutdown (or
something along that road).
I thought a reboot would take care of that (but probably not with broken
raid memory)

I tried to boot with all 4 kernels (667,  1381 both  regular and smp)
and they all give me the same error.

I mounted the file system with the rescue cd and saw the following.

there is nothing in  /mnt/sysimage/initrd    (so if it tries to do
something with /initrd/dev I understand that can't work)

I also checked what is in  /etc (/mnt/sysimage/etc)   with:

ls /mnt/sysimage/etc/in*

I get:

/etc/init-d Input/Output error
/etc/inittab Input/Output error
/etc/initlog.conf Input/Output error

(btw, other places don't seem affected,  it looks like all the data etc
is there)

Maybe I should run fsck on that drive (it is a raid) first, and than try
and see what happens?

Can I (I how do I) run fsck from the rescue cd?

Or should I go an entirely different route?

thanks,

Ron