dell 2850 initrd problem.

Ron Croonenberg ronc at depauw.edu
Thu Jun 3 09:18:03 CDT 2010

Hello Praveen,

well so far I didn't manage to boot anything.  Of course the OS cdrom is
nowhere to be found  (I am trying to locate the disk for Linux
2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp  (I know, old, but it is one of those machines with
"if it ain't broken don't fix it)

What happened is:

The machine acted 'weird'  the whole file system seemed to be read only.
(I didn't log in to it for a while)

I rebooted the machine and got to see the  raid battery/memory error.
The machine booted fine. I looked up the error on the web and it said
that there was either a faulty battery or faulty raid memory.

The machine seemed to be working fine so I ordered a new battery.
Than the same problem occurred; I rebooted and that is when I saw the
kernel panic.

So I ordered a new raid kit.  machine boots fine now, no hardware/bios
errors   but I still have the kernel panic

thanks,

Ron

Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com wrote:
> Hey Ron,
>
> Did you verify that the /sbin/init file does exist on the final root (final boot HDD).
> If this file does exist, the initrd should have mistakenly selected a wrong disk as the root device.
> You can try sending the right "root=UUID=something" to make sure the right disk is selected.
>

> Just trying to make sure replacing the Raid Cache didn't mess up the HDD.
>
> Praveen

main(p){printf(p,34,p="main(p){printf(p,34,p=%c%s%c,34); }",34); }
Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                  | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
        Technology Coordinator    |

Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc at DePauw.edu
DePauw University                 |
275 Julian Science & Math Center  |
602 South College Ave.            |
Greencastle, IN  46135            |