Magic SysRq Key Sequences over Remote DRAC5 Connection

Bryce Nesbitt bnesbitt at bepress.com
Wed Jun 2 10:39:18 CDT 2010

I'm looking for advice on using Magic SysRq Key Sequences over DRAC5 ssh(see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key for background reading on the
subject).

We have Dell 1950 and 2950 servers with DRAC version 1.20 firmware, and
normally use putty or OpenSSH to connect.  As far as well can tell the
serial 'break' does not equate to the SysRq key as documented.

These servers run Debian Linux, and we periodically have problems with out
of control memory situations.  We could save servers from a hard reboot by
sending Magic SysReq commands such as "m" and "f" (to dump Linux Kernel
memory stats and invoke the Out of Memory Killer (oom-killer).  Or make a
reboot nicer by syncing disks first.  These commands work fine directly from
an attached keyboard (e.g. Alt-SysRq-m).  Can we get Magic SysRq over DRAC5?

--
Bryce Nesbitt
The Berkeley Electronic Press