Dell OpenManage 6.3 for Ubuntu

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Thu Jul 29 13:57:25 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 04:23:00AM -0500, Dameon Wagner wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:20:14PM -0500, Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
> scribbled in "Dell OpenManage 6.3 for Ubuntu":
> > A present for our Ubuntu customers!
> >
> > http://linux.dell.com/repo/community/deb/
> > http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/enterprise/b/tech-center/archive/2010/07/27/dell-openmanage-6-3-for-ubuntu.aspx
> >
> > We have posted some community-supported builds of Dell OpenManage
> > 6.3 for Ubuntu. Blog post above goes into a little bit more detail.
> >
> > What this is: built-from-source DEB packages of OpenManage 6.3 for
> > Ubuntu 9.10 or later. The package set exactly mirrors the layout of
> > the RPMs.
> >
> > What this is NOT: officially supported. Please do not call Dell
> > technical support with questions about these DEBs, specifically, as
> > they will not be likely to be able to help you. Use the mailing
> > lists instead, please.
>
> Thanks Michael, and thanks Dell (official or not ;)
>
> Any chance of a similar set for real Debian?

I really hope the ubuntu packages just work on Debian. If you care to try it and report back results, that would be great.

Theoretically, native deb pkgs shouldnt be terribly difficult, now that we have the actual packaging done. It will have to be kind of a side project with no guarantees, though. I'll look into it.

> Also, while I've got
> your eyes/ears, is there, or will there be an updated version of
> http://linux.dell.com/debian_9g.shtml for the 10th and 11th gen
> servers?

Wow, that site is hilariously out of date. Most of our effort lately has been on getting everything moved to techcenter wiki. I can poke some people, but wouldnt hold out much hope.

--
Michael