Will Debian Lenny run on t310?

Duncan Gibb Duncan.Gibb at SiriusIT.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 05:05:54 CDT 2010

On 28/07/10 03:19, John McMonagle wrote:

JMcM> How about some more general information like the hardware and/or
JMcM> drivers for the sata controller and ethernet??

JMcM> I'll probably end up with 2.6.32 xen kernel from backports but
JMcM> it install will be less painful if  2.6.26 kernel works.

Can't be specific about the T310, but based on our experience with the
T410 and R510, it should be OK if a little fiddly.  The things to watch are:

 - Broadcom NICs need proprietary firmware, so unpack "firmware-bnx2"
   from non-free somewhere and copy *.fw onto a USB stick.

 - Some Dell^WLSI RAID controllers are only supported in newer kernels,
   so take care if you buy one.  The Sx00 series have no Linux driver
   at all, which frankly is unacceptable in this day and age and
   reflects very poorly indeed on Dell.  The motherboard SATA, however,
   should be Intel ICH10 which is well-supported.

Cheers

Duncan

--
Duncan Gibb - Technical Director