Monitoring SAS 6iR RAID status

Dameon Wagner d.wagner at ru.ac.za
Tue Jul 20 09:28:16 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:44:30AM -0300, Rodrigo Trevisaneli scribbled
 in "Monitoring SAS 6iR RAID status":
> Hi,
>
> This morning a database running on a PE T105 with a SAS 6iR
> was down, and after reboot I found the filesystem demaged.
>
> Running fsck fix this, and the /var/log/messages has a lot
> of disk-related messages starting at 10:00 pm. The SAS6iR
> utility show me RAID status degradaded and a fail status on disk 0.
>
> Disk 0 was removed and will be replaced. The server is running
> with only disk 1, and my question is, is there a way to be
> warned when a disk starting failing before the filesystem become
> demaged? Any utility, that can read data from SAS 6iR and put
> messages on console/syslog/email?

You can have a look at smartmontools, which is probably packaged for
your distro of choice.  You may have to play some games with other
packages (sg3-utils in debian) so that you can actually see the
real devices, rather than the /dev/sd* devices presented to you by the
6iR and the kernel, but you can use the combination to monitor the
SMART state of the drives themselves, including pre-failure states.

Cheers.

Dameon.