"Vendor provided" support

Warren_Thurber at Dell.com Warren_Thurber at Dell.com
Mon Jul 19 21:51:28 CDT 2010

All,
	It is nice to see the positive feedback about our Linux support.  For those who do not know, Dell employees several Red Hat Certified Architects in support and we strive to ensure our customer's needs are met.  We follow the mailing lists as much as possible too.  :)

On topic, Open Manage Server Administrator will officially work with RHEL and x86_64 versions of SLES.  Unofficially it will work on other distros as well.  Unofficial info regarding this can be found at:  linux.dell.com and of course the community here.  Thanks!

Warren "Brett" Thurber
Senior Support Consultant
Dell | Global Support Services
RHCA:  804006993421941
office +1 512 513 4937,  cell +1 512 466 8329
backup:  David Ulbrich
e-mail:  david_ulbrich at dell.com
How am I doing? E-mail my manager Greg McClain @ Greg_McClain at dell.com with any feedback.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Jason Slagle
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 6:56 PM
To: Robin Bowes
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: "Vendor provided" support

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Robin Bowes wrote:

>> Not if it's a licensing issue where Dell is the OEM that sold the Red
>> Hat license.
>
> That possibility come to my mind just after I pressed send!

That is exactly it.  The Dell OEM agreement lists Dell as first line.
The linux techs are actually just as sharp as most of the RHEL techs I've
gotten.  They're also familiar with stuff the RHEL guys won't touch like
powerpath.

> I've ended up fixing most of the support tickets I've raised recently,
> and having the changes merged into either Fedora or RHEL! They should be
> paying me! ;)

That's my expierence in the few times over the years I've had to open
tickets with Redhat.  I fixed it, they couldn't.

The Dell guys have been useful resources when I needed assistance with
things like EMC gear on linux as I noted above.

These days I maintain RHEL and official support on my Oracle DB boxes and
run CentOS on all the others.

Jason

--
Jason Slagle - RHCE5, VCP4