"Vendor provided" support

Jason Slagle raistlin at tacorp.net
Mon Jul 19 18:56:12 CDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Robin Bowes wrote:

>> Not if it's a licensing issue where Dell is the OEM that sold the Red
>> Hat license.
>
> That possibility come to my mind just after I pressed send!

That is exactly it.  The Dell OEM agreement lists Dell as first line.
The linux techs are actually just as sharp as most of the RHEL techs I've
gotten.  They're also familiar with stuff the RHEL guys won't touch like
powerpath.

> I've ended up fixing most of the support tickets I've raised recently,
> and having the changes merged into either Fedora or RHEL! They should be
> paying me! ;)

That's my expierence in the few times over the years I've had to open
tickets with Redhat.  I fixed it, they couldn't.

The Dell guys have been useful resources when I needed assistance with
things like EMC gear on linux as I noted above.

These days I maintain RHEL and official support on my Oracle DB boxes and
run CentOS on all the others.

Jason

--
Jason Slagle - RHCE5, VCP4