Serial over LAN

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 07:22:44 CDT 2010

Rahul Nabar wrote:
>> ** First thing you should do in BMC setup is reset to default. The BMCs
>> often ship with a weird non-default setting that will cause lots of
>> serial port feedback if you try to run a getty on the serial console.
>>

> Would ipmitool, or syscfg or another equivalent tool have the way of
> setting the BMC SOL? I already set the BMC's IP and pasword using
> ipmitool.
>
> I have ~300 machines so doing this step manually via Ctrl+E is tedious.

SoL can be setup and used quite easily using ipmitool - disabling
IPMI-over-serial is another matter (without rebooting, and entering
the BMC-control bit of the BIOS) - this seemed to work on the
PE1950s which I have access to:

ipmitool raw 0x06 0x40 0x02 0xb8 0x84
ipmitool raw 0x06 0x40 0x02 0x78 0x44

AFAIK this issue was only present on some PE1950s, and was probably a
problem with Dell's production-time automated testing system (IPMI over
serial - not SoL - was set up to carry out various tests, but not turned
off again prior to shipping).

HTH,

Tim.