Optimizing disk i/o performance

Richard Andrews randrews at pelmorex.com
Tue Jul 13 09:40:06 CDT 2010

Hello,

I'm investigating the most ideal settings to improve the performance of a glusterfs implementation.  Are there optimal settings for the following parameters with respect to the Perc 6/I rev.122 controllers?

/sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests
Blockdev Readahead value (blockdev -getra /dev/sda)

Currently the default values for CentOS are 128 and 256 respectively.  I understand that increasing nr_requests will have a memory usage impact and changing the readahead parameters may have a memory usage impact.

Regards,

Richard Andrews
Pelmorex Media Inc.