perc 6/i online capacity expansion from RAID6 to bigger RAID6 drives by replacing drives one at a time?

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 17:05:14 CDT 2010

Hi,

Has anyone ever done an online capacity expansion on a PE system with
a PERC 6/i controller going from a RAID6 with smaller drives to a
RAID6 with bigger drives? Let's say I have 6 160GB drives filling a
T410 and later on down the road I want to start swapping the 160GB
drives with 2TB drives. Can I put the 2TB drives in one at a time,
allowing for the rebuild, and then expand the virtual disk, then
expand the FS? I think mdadm grow mode in linux sofware raid allows
this?

Thanks,
Sabuj