GParted Support for Dell PERC Cards?

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Jul 9 12:27:38 CDT 2010

On Fri, July 9, 2010 11:21, Stroller wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2010, at 18:17, J. Epperson wrote:
>>
>> What James wants to do appears not to require fooling around with the
>> physical disk partitions, and I'd expect to be able to do it using the
>> Windows Logical Disk Manager.  You'd do the equivalent with the LVM
>> utilities if it were a Linux LV setup.  It appears that what's called a
>>  Logical Volume here corresponds to a Linux Volume Group, and the
>> partitions C: and P: look like what Linux calls a logical volume.
>
> I really don't interpret the post that way. Mr Bensley's choice of words
> seems quite specific.
>
> Certainly the Perc4 on the PE2800 allows you to create "logical volumes"
> - and I'm sure it calls them exactly that - at the RAID level using the
> Dell-bundled RAID configuration web-interface. GParted certainly won't
> see them because, as I stated before, the RAID controller will show the
> logical volumes as individual drives to Linux, which will call them sda,
> sdb &c.

Oops, yer right.  "Logical Volume" is used at too many different layers,
and I wasn't even thinking of layer not visible to the partition editor
and OS.

>> Note that if you were dealing with filesystems directly on disk
>> partitions, you would not be able to shrink the second partition and
>> stretch the first one, you'd have to blow away the second one, stretch
>> the first one, recreate the second one, and reload its data.
>
> I believe that - at least using Partition Magic, for instance - it's
> possible to move the D: partition (called "P:" in this case) to the end
> of the drive, so that there's empty space after the "C:" partition into
> which it can be expanded. You simply drag the end-of-partition marker to
> the end of the drive, the beginning-of-partition marker to wherever you
> want it and hit the green "commit changes" button; the partition does not
> need to be the same size. I am surprised to imagine that GParted can't
> manage this, as I'm sure it's dead simple easy and obvious under
> Partition Magic, at least according to my recollection.

And I can't state for certain that it can't be done in Gparted.  I know
that it absolutely could not be done the last time I attempted it in the
similar Qtparted.  You could move the partition markers around, but not
the data.