GParted Support for Dell PERC Cards?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 10:21:31 CDT 2010

On 8 Jul 2010, at 18:17, J. Epperson wrote:
> On Thu, July 8, 2010 11:18, Stroller wrote:
>>
>> On 8 Jul 2010, at 14:52, James Bensley wrote:
>>> ... I am wanting to alter the partition sizes of a Windows Server
>>> 2003
>>> box we have and I was planning to boot up with a GParted Live CD but
>>> will it be able to see my NTFS partitions to resize them?
>>>
>>> The box in question is a PE1950 with a Perc 5/i with two SATAII
>>> drives
>>> in a hardware RAID1, on that sits two Logical Volumes, ignore
>>> volume 1;
>>> on volume 0 there are two partitions C: and P: and I want to
>>> shrink P:
>>> and then grow C: but does anyone know if Gparted can see NTFS
>>> partitions, on a LV, on the hardware RAID on a Perc 5/i? Seems a bit
>>> far fetched to me?
>>

> Stroller gave an extensive and expansive reply, with lots of good
> info,
> trimmed for brevity here.
>
> What James wants to do appears not to require fooling around with the
> physical disk partitions, and I'd expect to be able to do it using the
> Windows Logical Disk Manager.  You'd do the equivalent with the LVM
> utilities if it were a Linux LV setup.  It appears that what's
> called a
> Logical Volume here corresponds to a Linux Volume Group, and the
> partitions C: and P: look like what Linux calls a logical volume.

I really don't interpret the post that way. Mr Bensley's choice of
words seems quite specific.

Certainly the Perc4 on the PE2800 allows you to create "logical
volumes" - and I'm sure it calls them exactly that - at the RAID level
using the Dell-bundled RAID configuration web-interface. GParted
certainly won't see them because, as I stated before, the RAID
controller will show the logical volumes as individual drives to
Linux, which will call them sda, sdb &c.

But Mr Bensley says, "ignore volume 1, on volume 0 there are two
partitions C: and P:". BOLD EMPHASIS on the preceding statement. This
is perfectly possible, because having created two logical drives on
the array, Windows will (just as Linux does) treat those 2 x LV as
separate physical volumes, and each can be partitioned using the
normal Windows tools.

If Mr Bensley mischose his words then he'll have to sell us, so that
we can provide better advice. It appears I am reading his use of the
word "partition" as "a partition" and you are reading his use of the
word "partition" as "not a partition". :/

> Note that if you were dealing with filesystems
> directly on disk partitions, you would not be able to shrink the
> second
> partition and stretch the first one, you'd have to blow away the
> second
> one, stretch the first one, recreate the second one, and reload its
> data.

I believe that - at least using Partition Magic, for instance - it's
possible to move the D: partition (called "P:" in this case) to the
end of the drive, so that there's empty space after the "C:" partition
into which it can be expanded. You simply drag the end-of-partition
marker to the end of the drive, the beginning-of-partition marker to
wherever you want it and hit the green "commit changes" button; the
partition does not need to be the same size. I am surprised to imagine
that GParted can't manage this, as I'm sure it's dead simple easy and
obvious under Partition Magic, at least according to my recollection.

There is a specific issue in Server 2003, widely documented, which
prevents the system C: partition from being resized using the Windows
Logical Disk Manager.

Stroller.