PE2850/PV220s & VMware ESXi configuration?

Chris Trainor ctrainor at quickhit.com
Fri Jul 9 05:35:16 CDT 2010

Keeping the storage in sync between the 2 boxes is going to be tricky.  But, if your VM guests are static, then that doesn't matter.

I use 2850's and local storage with VMWare Server & DRBD for basically the same thing for my personal webhosting.  DRBD is a block level network mirroring driver that runs on the host Linux OS to keep the storage partitions in sync between the 2 boxes.  Then I just suspend/export/resume if I want to swap the VM guests between the 2850's.  Of course, you take a performance hit by using VMWare Server over ESX/ESXi so it may not be the best option, but was something I wanted to play with at the time. :)

--chris