PE2850/PV220s & VMware ESXi configuration?

Derek Yuen derek.yuen at utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 8 23:35:51 CDT 2010

Hi,

I'd appreciate any advice on how to make use/configure two PowerEdge 2850s
with a PowerVault PV220s.  Both machines have two PERC4/DC cards, which
presumably gives me some configuration flexibility on the storage.

I was thinking (conceptually) of building a VMWare ESXi environment out of
them to replace the two-dozen Sun SparcStation 20/Ultra 1/Ultra 10 boxes
that are dying to be replaced.  (or they're just dying anyway, seeing how
three has died in a week)

I know, the PV220s is not a true SAN, which means no Vmotion for me.

I'm thinking of a split-bus configuration and each of the 2850's will have
a piece of the storage.  Then I'll just duplicate the VMs so both 2850s
runs the same VMs on the PV220s and call it a day.  This should get me
"high availability" and "redundancy" without too much work.

Could someone confirm if this is possible ?  If you're already doing it,
were there any pitfalls that you've experienced ?

Is there a better way to use/configure this combo of hardware ?

Thanks in advance,
Derek