iDRAC6 Express on PE R610?

Tom Rockwell rockwell at pa.msu.edu
Thu Jul 8 15:15:37 CDT 2010

Hi,

To reproduce, I do the following:

- reboot node
- enter iDRAC6 Express confguration
- reset to default configuration
- enable IPMI over LAN, set ip address, netmask, gateway and root password
- exit and reboot
- press f2 to enter setup screen, leave node sitting at this screen

The above is OS independent, AFAIK.

The iDRAC6 becomes pingable at start of second reboot.  It stops
responding to pings after 3 to 10 minutes.  Results are similar with the
OS Scientific Linux 5.4 running.

BIOS is 1.3.6, iDRAC6 Express FW is 1.30.7 (I think I saw that
correctly).  Have also tested with a 2.X BIOS.

The iDRAC6 has no VLAN configured, the switch port has an untagged VLAN
setup.  It may be that the VLAN has traffic on it that confuses the
iDRAC?  I'll try an isolated VLAN for the iDRAC.

We don't understand if we have some network issue, there is a firmware
bug, a combination of these two, or something else going on.

Thanks,
Tom Rockwell