GParted Support for Dell PERC Cards?

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu Jul 8 12:17:27 CDT 2010

On Thu, July 8, 2010 11:18, Stroller wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2010, at 14:52, James Bensley wrote:
>> ... I am wanting to alter the partition sizes of a Windows Server 2003
>> box we have and I was planning to boot up with a GParted Live CD but
>> will it be able to see my NTFS partitions to resize them?
>>
>> The box in question is a PE1950 with a Perc 5/i with two SATAII drives
>> in a hardware RAID1, on that sits two Logical Volumes, ignore volume 1;
>> on volume 0 there are two partitions C: and P: and I want to shrink P:
>> and then grow C: but does anyone know if Gparted can see NTFS
>> partitions, on a LV, on the hardware RAID on a Perc 5/i? Seems a bit
>> far fetched to me?

Stroller gave an extensive and expansive reply, with lots of good info,
trimmed for brevity here.

What James wants to do appears not to require fooling around with the
physical disk partitions, and I'd expect to be able to do it using the
Windows Logical Disk Manager.  You'd do the equivalent with the LVM
utilities if it were a Linux LV setup.  It appears that what's called a
Logical Volume here corresponds to a Linux Volume Group, and the
partitions C: and P: look like what Linux calls a logical volume.

Gparted can deal with NTFS laid directly onto physical disk partitions,
but I'd be astonished if it could see through the Logical Disk Manager
layer to deal with them.  Note that if you were dealing with filesystems
directly on disk partitions, you would not be able to shrink the second
partition and stretch the first one, you'd have to blow away the second
one, stretch the first one, recreate the second one, and reload its data.