H200: terrible performance for small writes

Giulio giulioo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 15:59:07 CDT 2010

PET310, PERC H200, CentOs 5.4, ext3
FW: 07.01.24.00
Driver: Dell provided 02.00.02.00, or LSI 04.00.01.00

We have 5 T310+H200 systems, all showing the very same performance issue;
never had this problem with SAS5/6/iR controllers.

We opened a case with Dell support, but in the meantime we'd like to know if
anyone else experienced something similar.

Basically performance with H200 is far worse than with SAS5/iR SAS6/iR when
doing very small writes (a software we use does that).

Attached you find iozone output for T310+SAS5 and T310+H200, just look at
the first 3 lines and you'll see the BIG problem.

Thanks
giulioo at pobox.com