Fedora version for PowerEdge R710

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:52:07 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Sabuj Pattanayek <sabujp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Matias Gutiérrez Reto
> <matiasgutierrezreto at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello all.
> > Could anyone suggest me which Fedora Core version to use with PowerEdge
>
> None. Use CENTOS5, unless you have apps that require some libraries,
> e.g. newer libstdc++ with GLIBCXX 3.4.9 and don't want to fool around
> with system libs in non-standard locations.
>
> > R710 servers?
> > I installed FC9, but I'm finding some extrange behaviour.
>
> But if you must perhaps you can elaborate as to the strange behavior?
> BTW, FC6 is the closest to RHEL5/CENTOS5.

Have to agree here.  Unless you are specifically testing something on
Fedora, you should not be using it on a server.  Please save yourself, your
company, the next sysadmin, and the reputation of the IT industry the
headache of using a desktop/experimental OS on a server by using CentOS.

Business servers are not toys to experiment with the latest and greatest,
that's what your personal computer or VMware are for.  If it bothers you
that you don't have the most up-to-date features on a server, that's
something you'll need to get over.  Understand the requirements, don't go
with your feelings.

PS. They dropped the "Core" a long time ago, now it's just "Fedora"