CentOS install can't find /dev/sda?

Steve Jenkins stevej at cheatcodes.com
Tue Feb 23 21:32:54 CST 2010

I've been trying for a few days now to install CentOS 5.4 on a PowerEdge
1850. During the boot, I can press CTRL+M to configure the RAID
controller and 2 drives into a RAID 1 array which initializes and
appears just fine.

However, trying to install CentOS (Net install, DVD install, 64-bit,
32-bit, text install, gui install, etc.) always fails right after the
"Welcome to CentOS" part when it reports that it can't find /dev/sda to
partition pre-install.

Has anyone else seen this? I've updated all the firmwares possible, and
am still seeing this issue. I've decided that the RAID controller is
probably wonky, but before I work on swapping that out, anyone else have
any ideas I may have missed?

Thanks,

Steve