removing drives from PE2850 w/ PERC 4e/Di

Shannon Gray grisgris at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 16 14:46:51 CST 2010

I'm looking at permanently removing a drive from a PE2850 system with PERC 4e/Di card.

I've read through the docs and searched through the PERC bios but it looks like I can't permanently remove a drive without completely clearing the entire configuration and starting from scratch.

If I simply disable the drive and remove it when I reboot the BIOS will halt on a message about a problem with the configuration. It looks like it would do that every time which is not so desirable in a remote server.

Can anybody clarify this for me? What's the best way to permanently remove a single (raid 0) drive from a PE2850 with PERC 4e/Di?

Thanks!

Shannon