Reverse DNS lookup & syslog (Debian 4.0)

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Mon Feb 15 05:06:18 CST 2010

Correct me if im wrong, but the way I understood it was:

Client connects to server, asks server to run application running on port 2401 {cvspserver}. Syslogd traps this request with an entry to syslog with the connect string. Simultaneously to this request logging, runcvs kicks off the actual cvs binary with its settings.

How would the runcvs be generating the entry, and if that *is* the case how do I change it to catch the machine name?

Thanks