Updating bios on Studio 1557 + gentoo (A02->A03)

plazmacrow plazmacrow at tecnoshokkz.net
Sat Feb 13 06:34:57 CST 2010

Hi guys,

I'd like to install the latest bios on my Studio 1557.
The dell page says, that A03 is the latest available version (I've
currently A02).

The problem is, that I'm running Linux (gentoo) - so I'm not able to use
the provided executable.
After asking google about this, it came up with the smbios stuff.

smbios-sys-info is showing the following info:
Libsmbios version:      2.2.19
Product Name:           Studio 1557
Vendor:                 Dell Inc.
BIOS Version:           A02
System ID:              0x02BD
Service Tag:            42L6XK1
Express Service Code:   8863657057
Asset Tag:              ???SS??
Property Ownership Tag:

Please note the strange "Asset Tag" value, should I care about it?

So my system id is 0x02BD, but I can't find a matching folder in
http://linux.dell.com/repo/firmware/bios-hdrs/.
I only found a similar folder 0x02b8 - is this the same? After trying to
install it with dellBiosUpdate-compact this error occurs:
"WARNING: BIOS HDR file does not contain support for this system.
         This may result in bad things happening!
         Exiting..."

Any hints for me?

Thanks,
Mathias