Reverse DNS lookup & syslog (Debian 4.0)

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Fri Feb 12 08:58:14 CST 2010

Im running Debian 4.0 on a number of PowerEdge servers here and I am having some issues with syslog. These machines run various applications. In this case ill take cvs. When a remote machine connects to cvs I get :
Feb 12 14:54:04 buzz runcvs[1533]: connect from 172.16.165.144 (172.16.165.144)

The machines are all pretty much just basic installs of Debian, with resolve.conf pointed at windows DNS servers.  When I do an nslookup of the IP:

buzz:~# nslookup 172.16.165.144
Server:         172.16.164.100
Address:        172.16.164.100#53

144.165.16.172.in-addr.arpa     name = galvin.XXXXX.com.

As our domain use DHCP for the windows clients, when I go back a few days later, the syslog entries are close to useless to mea s the IP may have changed. How do I get syslog to log the hostname of the connecting machine?

I have tried syslog-ng (albeit I didn't change many parameters) but to the same effect. I still get the IPs of the connecting machine.

Any ideas?