AHCI permitted on some Gen 11 servers (was Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers)

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 11:18:05 CST 2010

Howard_Shoobe at dell.com wrote:
> With the introduction of the PERC H700/H800 controllers, we began enabling only the use of Dell qualified drives.

Isn't this another reason to ditch hardware RAID controller cards
entirely?  To be honest - whenever possible, I use Linux's built-in md
RAID1/5/6/10 instead of proprietary RAID solutions, and use
Enterprise-grade SATA drives.  This gives me:

. An opensource implementation
. Opensource convenient well-documented management tools (that work the
same across multiple vendors' hardware)
. Better reliability (if it fails - and in my experience it doesn't
do-so nearly as frequently as HW RAID systems - I have all the tools to
put the pieces back together again)
. Good performance
. Good flexibility and transparency (I can trivially move drives to
other systems in a disaster recovery scenario etc.)
. Lower power consumption (a bit)
. Lower cost
. Very good support, (for any drives which I care to attach to it) and
the ability to talk to the developers directly, and even fix things
myself (try doing that with most proprietary RAID implementations).

Now I understand that you don't get the same write latency as with
battery-backed RAID (and as a result this is the only hardware RAID
which I ever specify) - I just wish that someone would produce a decent
battery-backed PCIe RAM card, and then (with a bit more open source
code) this restriction would be removed as well.

So... looking on the bright side, some Gen 11 do support SATA and AHCI,
so why not just ditch this proprietary stuff altogether?

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.