Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu Feb 11 01:41:47 CST 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, John Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:36:54AM -0500, J. Epperson wrote:
> > And UPSs!  We must ensure that we have appropriately proprietarily
> > conditioned power for our proprietary servers.  And no third party
> > replacement batteries either.  Lord only knows what sort of corruption
> > that could lead to.
>
> --
> And, for our own good, we must be restricted to using Dell-branded
> enclosures... we can't take the risk that the holes in a lesser product
> might be out-of-kilter, slightly tweaking the chassis, causing memory
> and cards to edge out of their slots.
>
> Better get Dell-branded network cables, too.  And Dell KVMs, Dell
> keyboards, Dell mice... Dell mousepads, too, just to absolutely ensure a
> positive computing experience...

Be careful what you wish for. The "network cable"-one is already here. 10G for
shorter distances now is using so called twinax cables for SFP+. One feature
of SFP+ (like other transiever slots) is that it identifies what you connect.
Atleast one major network equipment vendor (and I'm guessing most other too)
only allows its own cables.

/Peter