help configuring a db server

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 10 12:22:40 CST 2010

I hope this is not too far off topic (maybe its considered on topic [I
hope]).

I need help configuring a database server. We have $6000 to spend. The
server will be running debian stable (maybe squeeze by the time we're ready
to go) and mysql. We have databases  for spamassassin bayesian rules,
drupal, moodle, imp (webmail), and our own private data.  Our private data
is pretty small with the biggest table containing under 10,000 records. We
do have a table with about 4,00 PDF docs in a blob field.

I think we can get a machine with a quad core, 32 Gb of RAM, and 300 Gb disk
for under $6000. But I'm confused about disk. I would think disk pspeed
would be fairly important. How can I configure a machine with a fast disk?
What are my options from Dell in that regard?