Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 10 11:35:44 CST 2010

Quoting "s.mishima" <s.mishima at gmail.com>:

> I have PowerEdge Server with DELL certified Seagate harddisk.
> I bought it from DELL.
>
> The DELL certified Seagate harddisk has lock problem 1/320 probability
> every power-on spinup.

Yeah, I bought two of those systems too. ;) Again, thought about writing
this in my post, but decided against it...

> But DELL support says,
> "Out of Warranty."

Yeah, fortunately it is a firmware upgrade you can do without warranty.
In fact, Dell wouldn't replace them at all, only provide the firmware
update.

> What is DELL certified ?
> What is DELL warranty ?

The proper question here is, why didn't Dell's extensive testing for
certification help catch this issue?

The warranty doesn't really apply, since it is just a firmware upgrade,
and the firmware is free...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics