Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:31:11 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Eric Rostetter
<rostetter at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> My problem with the total lock-out without any way around it is that it
> implies that once my machine is out of warranty and support, and/or Dell
> wants to charge me an astronomical sum for a replacement part (e.g.,
> $1049 for a 36GB _REFURBISHED_ disk drive for my Dell PE 2300/2400 machine)
> I can't do anything with the machine if I lose a disk drive (since I
> can't/won't pay the astronomical sum for their drives, if they are even
> available at all).

We call that "Class action law suit".

In some states in the US (California I believe, and probably others) I
believe Dell would lose under current laws.
I believe this is true under UK case law too.
They cna fix it by providing a way to disable the log in if the admin wishes.