Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers

Mirosław Jaworski mjaw at ikp.pl
Wed Feb 10 05:06:29 CST 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 16:17 -0600, Howard_Shoobe at dell.com wrote:
> Thank you very much for your comments and feedback regarding exclusive use of Dell drives. It is common practice in enterprise storage solutions to limit drive support to only those drives which have been qualified by the vendor.  In the case of Dell's PERC RAID controllers, we began informing  customers when a non-Dell drive was detected with the introduction of PERC5 RAID controllers in early 2006. With the introduction of the PERC H700/H800 controllers, we began enabling only the use of Dell qualified drives.
>
> There are a number of benefits for using Dell qualified drives in particular ensuring a positive experience and protecting our data.
>
> While SAS and SATA are industry standards there are differences which occur in implementation.  An analogy is that English is spoken in the UK, US and Australia. While the language is generally the same, there are subtle differences in word usage which can lead to confusion. This exists in storage subsystems as well. As these subsystems become more capable, faster and more complex, these differences in implementation can have greater impact.
>
> Benefits of Dell's Hard Disk and SSD drives are outlined in a white paper on Dell's web site at http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-hard-drives-pov.pdf

We anxiously wait for further lock-ins. I do have a recommendation
to be considered on marketoids' closest quarterly meeting: support
for Dell-blessed expansion cards only.

No more wild expansion PCI cards - Delltwork Dellterface cards
should be enough for everyone! With God's help all Dell
customers will be connecting to Dellternet over time.

--
Mirosław "Psyborg" Jaworski
GCS/IT d- s+:+ a C++$ UBI++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++(+++)$ N++ o+ K- w-- O-