Returning Network stability problems on R710 servers and BCM5709

James Sparenberg james at stoke.com
Tue Feb 9 14:01:02 CST 2010

Having gone through the drivers at dell the only difference is that they have the config file set to not compile in MSI.  Advantage goes to putting this line

options bnx2 disable_msi=1,1,1,1

(Note this is on an R610 with 4 nics adjust the number of 1's accordingly with your hardware)

into /etc/modprobe.conf. Now, on boot, the bnx2 module is loaded with msi disabled for each nic.  The big advantage is when your kernel has to upgrade it will continue to work.  (At least it is for me.)

James Sparenberg
Sr IT Systems Engineer
Stoke Inc
408-855-2854