Returning Network stability problems on R710 servers and BCM5709

Warren_Thurber at Dell.com Warren_Thurber at Dell.com
Tue Feb 9 13:41:49 CST 2010

I would recommend passing the following option for the bnx2 driver:

modprobe bnx2 disable_msi=1

Another option is to use the Dell bnx2 driver found at support.dell.com.

Thanks!

Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Stephan van Hienen
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:31 PM
To: Stephan van Hienen; 'James Sparenberg'; linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: RE: Returning Network stability problems on R710 servers and BCM5709

Looks like we also have the issue after we put the server into production this week.
The server is being used as a fileserver (with samba/nfs)
Clients are getting network path not found errors.
But also a ssh client to and from the server are giving timeouts.

Changes after last week:
We are now using bonding with eth0 and eth1 connected to 2 Powerconnect 5424 switches.
Last week only eth0 (without bonding) was connected to a Powerconnect 6224.

Today I tried to disable eth0 / eth1, so only 1 interface was active, but still a lot of disconnects.

We also got this error (while eth1 was down for testing) :

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
bnx2: eth0 NIC Copper Link is Down
bonding: bond0: link status definitely down for interface eth0, disabling it
bonding: bond0: Warning: No 802.3ad response from the link partner for any adapters in the bond

Any hints ?
(maybe i'll just put in a intel gigabit card)

Stephan