Returning Network stability problems on R710 servers and BCM5709

Stephan van Hienen stephan.van.hienen at thevalley.nl
Tue Feb 9 13:30:44 CST 2010

Looks like we also have the issue after we put the server into production this week.
The server is being used as a fileserver (with samba/nfs)
Clients are getting network path not found errors.
But also a ssh client to and from the server are giving timeouts.

Changes after last week:
We are now using bonding with eth0 and eth1 connected to 2 Powerconnect 5424 switches.
Last week only eth0 (without bonding) was connected to a Powerconnect 6224.

Today I tried to disable eth0 / eth1, so only 1 interface was active, but still a lot of disconnects.

We also got this error (while eth1 was down for testing) :

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
bnx2: eth0 NIC Copper Link is Down
bonding: bond0: link status definitely down for interface eth0, disabling it
bonding: bond0: Warning: No 802.3ad response from the link partner for any adapters in the bond

Any hints ?
(maybe i'll just put in a intel gigabit card)

Stephan