clearforeignconfig not clearing foreign config

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Tue Feb 9 11:18:45 CST 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 10:27 -0600, Patrick_Boyd at dell.com wrote:
> Clearforeign only removes drives in foreign state. These drives are online. To get rid of this configuration you either need to delete the virtual disk or to delete all the virtual disks you can use the reset config command.

OK, here's what I have:

- Running system with a single-disk RAID-0 (disk 0:0:0)
- Spare disk of same model/capacity, from another PERC5 (disk 0:0:1)

I want to be able to get into a state where I can raid-level-migrate and
convert the current virtual disk (0:0:0) into a RAID-1 mirror.

Currently, the fact that disk 0:0:1 contains a foreign config is
preventing this.

I *don't* want to trash the data on disk 0:0:0 which, while backed-up,
will be irritating to rebuild.

I do, however, have a spare 1950/PERC5 chassis I can put the disk in,
although I can't see any way in the PERC bios to clear any configuration
present on the disk - clearing the foreign config on a different PERC
doesn't seem to do that in quite the way you expect.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower