CPU Upgrade for Dell PowerEdge 1435SC

Barnaby Gray barnaby at globrix.com
Tue Feb 9 03:36:32 CST 2010

On 08/02/10 21:54, Jonathan B. Horen wrote:
> Does anyone have first-hand experience with such a CPU upgrade?
> Alternatively, can anyone point me in the direction of information
> regarding such a CPU upgrade?

Yes, we did this upgrade last year. Specifically from Opteron 2216 ->
Opteron 2376, and moved the 2216 to make another SC1435 dual-CPU. Our
SC1435s were rather old so didn't have the split-plane power config
required to get the best performance from the new memory controller, but
I can't say this has bothered us - it was definitely a cheaper upgrade
than a new unnecessary motherboard that Dell wanted to sell us.

Worth checking your BIOS versions and updating them (easy to do whilst
the OS is running) - there's a few fixes related to quad core opterons,
and you'll need to apply these with the old processors still in.

cheers,

Barnaby