OMSA help in unsupported install...

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 6 01:58:57 CST 2010

Quoting Vanush Misha Paturyan <misha at cs.nuim.ie>:

> but can you double-check following:
>
> 1. your snmpd.conf file does have "smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1"
> 2. your snmpd is started WITHOUT "-I -smux" (this is default on Debian
> and breaks smuxpeer)(ps ax | grep snmpd shows the parameters for snmpd)
> (according to your log files smuxpeer is running so I think answers to
> those two are "yes", but just to make sure.... )

Yes, already checked those (the first from OMSA docs, the second from
a google search).  Both were correct.

> following is based on OMSA 5.4, not 5.1 as in your case, but here's
> how snmpd and omsa communicate (at least I think that's how)
> 1. you need dsm_sa_snmp32d, dsm_sa_datamgr32d (and possibly
> dsm_sa_eventmgr32d) to be running (ps aux should show them).

Yes, have all that.

> 2. once you get the PID of dsm_sa_snmp32d run "lsof -p PID" and confirm
> that it does have an established TCP IPv4 connection to localhost:smux
> (or localhost:199).

Ah, cool... Thanks for that one.

> To debug snmpd stop your running instance and start it from command
> prompt as "/usr/sbin/snmpd -Dsmux -f -Lo -Lf /var/log/snmpd.log -u
> root" (this will write output on both screen and in /var/log/snmpd.log
> file). You can specify -DALL, see what it generates, and then filter
> out things you want to analyse.

Way cool!  Thanks a million.

> And another thing worth checking (if you haven't done it yet): run "ldd
> sdm_sa_smnp32d" to see it has all the libraries it needs. You haven't
> told yet if your Linux is 32 or 64 bit. OMSA is 32bit so on 64bit
> versions it needs bunch of 32bit libraries.

Yea, I spent a day just getting this worked out (because yes, I'm running
a 64-bit distro, and lots of libraries were missing...)

Thanks to your help and my persistence, I now have it working...  Your
debugging tips (above) were a great help.

I actually was able to upgrade it, and I'm now running a current OMSA
(OMI-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-LX-620-677.rhel4.tar.gz) on OpenFiler 2.3 with
the SNMP working on two (identical) machines.  Only had a few minor
issues getting the 6.2 to work...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics