Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Fri Feb 5 18:43:28 CST 2010

On 2/5/2010 7:35 PM, Mark Walkom wrote:
> This thread Brandon mentioned earlier explains it a little -
> http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19314432/19649799.aspx
> From the thread;
> /"Yes, while on the surface I don't like the sound of it, the truth is
> that "Dell-certified" drives have a special firmware on them that
> allows them to respond correctly to advanced requests made by the
> controllers so that operation of the machine can be guaranteed.
> Having been a technical analyst for Dell servers, I can tell you that
> many issues arise from the use of non-certified drives.  So, while I
> don't like it, I can understand it.  Besides, Dell doesn't make the
> drives - they are made the top drive manufacturers, but in order to
> guarantee compatibility/reliability, they put a Dell-specific FW on
> them.  Just a thought :)"/
>
> Perhaps it's more the cost of the 'official' drives that is the issue
> here, maybe Dell can make the prices a bit more reasonable.
> I know I'd be happy paying for the drives if they had technical
> benefits that weren't offset by stupidly high prices.

Unless they have modded the firmware of the chipset(which you can buy
cards based on the LSI 2108 at many vendors) there's no reason for
this.  If they have modded the firmware and the drives firmware to do
"advanced things" all the more reason to NOT buy their drives and the
h-series of cards..if they get persnickety about that then it's time for
another vendor.